Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The day after...

Well...that was disappointing.

Not only did I fail in my attempt to become the next mayor of Pittsburgh but I was relegated to last place, not even capable of breaking 1000 votes. To say I am not disappointed would be a political cop-out that politicians use when they don't want you to see that they are upset. By now, you probably understand that such political machinations are not in my playbook.

Quite frankly, I'm mad as hell.

But that is just the guttural reaction that I have seeing that I lost. I like to win, I hate to lose. I am sure a town like Pittsburgh can appreciate the feeling.

But more than anything I am disappointed. I am disappointed in myself for not running a better campaign. For not getting out there enough door to door to make a it a wee bit closer.

I am disappointed in the media for choosing to dictate how this election would go and by closing me out of the debates and their staunch refusal to run any press releases from my camp so that when I went door to door too often people were surprised that there was anyone other than Mark and Luke running.

I am disappointed to everyone who went to the polls and for no other reason than party loyalty voted their party line. NOTE: I'm not disappointed in those who didn't vote for me...just in those who would have voted for their party's candidate even if he was a shaved monkey in a suit.

And I am once again disappointed in myself because when all was said and done last night, there was a moment when my idealistic outlook dimmed for just a little bit. I doubted for a moment that an honest man can win an election, that Pittsburgher's as a whole can look past the party and vote for the man, that I don't need a machine behind me in order to be taken seriously.

I had my low moment...now its time to rise again.

I have 2 years in order to start and build the most dynamic and engaging mayoral campaign this city has ever seen. I will knock on 100,000 doors if necessary and hold town hall meetings nightly. I was marginalized this time because I allowed myself to be marginalized. That was my mistake...I will not make it again. The majority of Pittsburgher's who voted yesterday voted to maintain the status quo and as such the city will continue to circle the drain for the next two years. Eventually, even the rank and file will have enough and my message of lower taxes, more freedoms and a better life will resonate.

On my travels this year I have met a number of people, energetic and talented, willing to help my cause...the cause to better Pittsburgh. I will have an even more dynamic team in 2009 taking the best people from all parts of the city, from all parties and backgrounds.

I made my mistakes this election...I will learn from them, I will improve because of them and I will win in 2009.

You think I need a miracle?

I don't believe in miracles...I believe in Pittsburgh.